Thursday, September 11, 2014

From the future self

The future self is always the Voice of Reason, the Sage, the one of Experience. Imagining what you would say to your former self, or what your future self would say to you, is a veiled exercise of reflection, of putting the manic things of the present into long-term perspective.

Looking at me, taking two days off from work to work on a 5000-word thesis on setting in Singapore writing, my future self would laugh. She would see the smallness of the endeavour, the meaninglessness of it. Do you remember what you wrote for your undergrad assignments? She would  say mockingly. No? Then what difference will this make?

But then again, it depends on what my future self is. What would I, small mortal being, want my future self to be?

I want my future self to
1. have mastered the art of the eyeliner (I wish something more noble had come to mind as the first thing in the list)
2. be a fair and assertive colleague, in whatever position
3. be still writing, and trying to write better and differently
4. stay slim and fit (because big clothes are expensive, and because one must always remain vain)
5. be bold and to chase dreams

In which case, that hypothetical future self might spur this present self to
1. Push yourself as hard as possible for your writing, be it this thesis or anything else
2. Write, write with a passion and dream big dreams. As S said, we can be like the best of the writers, Genevieve. Why can't we?
3. Explore, experiment, experience (my future self is starting to sound like D, who thinks I'm a swaku sheltered girl who is afraid of going beyond her own boundaries)


No comments:

Post a Comment